Welcome to Saint George Belarusian Orthodox Church website. Our Church has been serving Christian Orthodox Community around Chicago and surrounding suburbs since 1958. Saint George Belarusian Orthodox Church is part of American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese of the USA under the rule of His Eminence Metropolitan Gregory.
Saint George Belarusian Orthodox Church was legalized and received a State Charter in 1958.
After the World War II a sizable group of Belarusian immigrants chose to settle in Chicago and other parts of the State of Illinois. The local industry provided the newcomers with job opportunities needed to secure the future of their families. Even though it was a difficult task to open the new church, the founders were blessed with the assistance of clergy who offered their time and energy. Bishop of the Belarusian Autocephalic Orthodox Church Wasil, Archimandrite Julian Trocki, Fr. Makarewicz and Protopresbyter N. Lipitzki all visited Chicago on several occasions. All of the assisting clergy belonged to different jurisdictions of the Orthodox Church which quickly lead to a question, which jurisdiction the Belarusian Orthodox Church in Chicago should join? The national roots of Belarusian history made the new immigrants look towards Constantinople. It was in this part of the world from which Belarus received the Christian Orthodox Faith. It is because of this background that church founders chose to organize within the framework on the Ecumenical Patriarchate under the auspices of the Exarch of the of Constantinople in North and South America. At the time of petition, Archbishop Michael was the head of the Church in North and South America. With his approval, the Belarusian Orthodox, by a majority of their own vote, became part of the jurisdiction of the Ecumenical Patriarchate of America. These Belarusian churches formed a separate Diocese.
To this day, Saint George Belarusian Orthodox Church of Chicago is part of the Ecumenical Patriarchate in America as a member of American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese of the USA under the rule of His Eminence Metropolitan Gregory.